When a customer walks into a financial services branch office they expect a consistently high level of service – this means the branch’s staff need consistently fast and reliable access to their key financial applications. The service needs to be available and consistent whether the branch is located in a major city, small town or rural community.
Many financial services providers are still running archaic legacy environments – including DOS-based applications – across retail branches. Modern banking applications that drive competitive advantage require the availability of a high speed highway for peak performance; however the inability to deliver a seamless Ethernet-grade network infrastructure across all locales is creating a roadblock and hampering innovation.
As competitors continue to encroach on market share, forward-thinking institutions need to capitalize on new technology enhancements which enable contemporary banking solutions that delight customers, empower staff and reduce operational costs.
The Client – A Financial Services Organization
- Update legacy applications such as loan requests, investment queries, credit updates, etc. with modern, intuitive, collaborative, secure and integrated applications;
- Deliver High Speed Connectivity between multiple branch offices, many in remote locations;
- Improve transaction times for clients who are frustrated by having to wait when systems are slow to respond;
- Provide communications consistency across all locations – urban, city, and rural;
- Reduce travel costs for meetings and training sessions with video conferencing, online white-boarding and corporate messaging;
- Eliminate long distance and cell phone charges with reliable VOIP services, retiring expensive legacy phone systems;
- Support modern banking with secure access to mobile devices such as tablets;
- Provide redundancy for disaster recovery;
- Enable “always-on” mission-critical applications, driving operational and commercial excellence;
- Ensure new banking applications can be delivered reliably, providing a competitive advantage against traditional and emerging competitors.
WireIE and the client determined that a phased approach to modernization would reduce risk, provide immediate benefit and ensure that the carrier grade Ethernet network infrastructure needed to deliver modern applications would be implemented at the front-end of the project.
Upgrading their legacy phone systems with a Unified Communications (UC) platform would provide immediate value in cost savings and productivity improvements and represented the right application for phase one of the project. Long distance charges would be eliminated and travel expenses reduced. UC would enable video-conferencing to support online meetings as well as offer an improved training experience serving higher numbers of staff members who would no longer have to travel to remote locations for line of business education.
Because UC demands a high availability low-latency network, this project would require a ubiquitous carrier grade Ethernet infrastructure. While carriers in Canada can easily deliver this level of service in any urban centre, they are unable to supply the same low-latency, SLA-backed offering to off-net, near-net, rural or hard to service locales.
For this client, choosing a UC partner who could architect and deliver a blended carrier-grade network infrastructure that guaranteed the same level of service in every location was a critical factor in their success.
The UC partner worked with Cisco-certified WireIE network engineers to architect a mission-critical, high availability SLA-backed infrastructure, seamlessly supported through a single point-of-contact Network Operating Centre (NOC).
By choosing to implement UC on WireIE’s high availability carrier-grade network; this financial services client is ready for the future today.
- Branch locations are prepared to support new competitive service offerings as the enterprise develops and rolls them out;
- Travel and overtime budgets have been dramatically reduced. Staff rarely have to travel to take training which reduces the amount of over-time needed to cover vacancies;
- Because training is available online, more staff are able to take advantage of education, increasing branch knowledge and empowering staff to better serve customers;
- Efficiencies have been realized – staff use the “presence” feature to find available subject-matter-experts wherever they reside;
- Long-distance charges and service fees for aging telephone equipment have been eliminated;
- Redundancy has been engineered to support disaster recovery needs and ensure mission-critical applications are always available.